Categories

Archive

United Fresh News > Meet Your Executive - Anthony Blundell, Vice President

7 June 2017

Meet Your Executive - Anthony Blundell, Vice President

Meet Your Executive - Anthony Blundell, Vice President

When did your company first join United Fresh? 

1994

What was your first job in the horticulture industry? 

At 11 years, manually lifting 40lb wooden boxes of kumara out on the fields and at the packhouse.

What does a typical day look like for you? 

Over a period of a week, 70 percent of the time in the office. The other 30 percent engaging with staff, growers, customers, service providers and industry. It’s that latter 30 percent that I enjoy the most. 

What is it you most enjoy about your job? 

Extremely privileged to work alongside the people involved with our business and the different ones I get to meet along the way. First quote learnt at a very young age from my late father Gary was: “Produce is a peoples’ business, son!”

What is your greatest achievement to date – personal or professional? 

After I successfully completed an Executive Diploma in Produce Marketing in early 2002, it proved to be one of the catalysts that started the transition process of purchasing the business (that was established in 1970) off Gary later that year. 

Favourite fruit? 

Strawberries.

Favourite way to eat kumara? 

Skin-on, hand cut wedges of kumara drizzled with avocado oil, pepper, chicken salt, Moroccan seasoning cooked on the barbecue plate. And you’ve got to have a bit of sour cream as a dip, then a beer to wash them down.